Thursday, April 8, 2010

Loving Children's Lit...

So I am sure I'm way behind the rest of the world when I say I just finished reading this book. I read it for my Children's Literature class. Most of you have probably already read it. If not...do. I really enjoyed it. It is a story that really moves you because it is about a kind of love that is rare. The never ending kind. One of my favorite parts is when Billy, the boy, goes to his grandfather to tell him he has raised the money to buy his dogs. He worked so hard and for so long...his grandfather is shocked and says simply, "Well, Son, it's your money. You worked for it, and you worked hard. You got it honestly, and you want some dogs. We're going to get those dogs. Be damned! Be damned!" I just love that because his grandpa's viewpoint shows you again, just how hard he really worked to achieve his dream. It's hard to adequately explain the emotions you feel reading this book. Just go read it. I can almost guarantee you will cry at the end (I did, all alone in my room, crying over this book, haha) but you will love it. The emotions of this book, good and bad, are so deep, it makes you feel alive inside, if that makes sense. I'm really enjoying getting to experience these "children's" books as an adult. They usually have some pretty powerful messages. The only thing I don't like is reading on a time schedule...I suck at that. I like to take my time. Which is why I have to go now and catch up on finishing some other books :)

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to post some of the other books they're having you read. I was always interested in that class, but never had a reason to take it as a Psychology major.

    ReplyDelete