Monday, November 16, 2009

Random Fun Facts About Kiev

Just for fun I thought I'd write some random things about Ukraine :)
1. Outdoor markets sell the BEST fruit. Especially pears and oranges. Just make sure you wash it good. The same market sells raw meat. Haha! It took Emily and I a while to figure out that one animal we see being sold is a rabbit.
2. Ukrainians always want you to have exact change or at least small bills. It frustrates them if you only have big ones.
3. Elevators are usually pretty sketchy. But they must be well built cause they just keep going strong.
4. I've never smelled so many random smells! Sometimes you will get a different smell with each breath. Haha, that's the truth.
5. It's serious business when people go to the post office. Before it opens, Emily and I will always see a crowd of people waiting outside the doors. And people don't smile in there. Well, they don't smile much anywhere in public, but especially in the post office. I guess I'm a minority because post offices tend to make me happy, especially for one obvious reason in Bolivia :)
6. Balancing on the metro takes practice, but I think I've got it down. I can even tell you the best way to stand in order to best avoid falling ;)
7. Stray dogs and pigeons are EVERYWHERE. I don't much like either of them.
8. Laughing or smiling will most likely make you stand out in public. Oops.
9. You see people out with their kids at the park or playground a lot. I love that :)
10. I've seen my share of old men in speedos by the river. Haha!
11. When you go to the supermarket, you have to weigh your fruit and get a barcode for it before you take it to the register. It took us a few times to learn that :) Also, you have to pay for a bag.
12. Hardly anyone lives in a house. All apartments.
13. If you go to visit someone, it is customary to bring a gift with you, usually food.
14. Squatter toilets don't scare me anymore. But I still don't like them :)
15. I never want to drive here. Sometimes it's nuts!
16. People take the cold weather very seriously. Our host mom has made us change on our way out the door because what we were wearing didn't look warm enough.
17. Random is a good word to describe this city. Clothes, food, toys-anything really- can be sold in the same market, right next to each other.
18. A lot of people drink vodka like it's water. They'll just carry a bottle around with them everywhere.
19. All the girls wear boots when it's cold.
20. People sell the most BEAUTIFUL flowers everywhere :)

Okay, that's good for now. I'll probably think of more. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment