The other day I was doing my dance workout video and feeling RIDICULOUS. My belly is expanding faster these days, which is good because it means baby is growing, but I still feel surprised when I look in the mirror. Luckily, I have Chance for a husband who is only ever encouraging when I'm working out my round body (except when he makes passing-gas noises while I try to concentrate during yoga...haha, it always makes me laugh and consequently break focus). But then I started thinking, why allow myself to feel ridiculous or silly? There is this stigma of "pregnant and weak." Ever heard the phrase that goes something like, "If a pregnant woman can do it anyone can do it" when it comes to physical things? Well, I had the thought, "Screw that!" Sure, a pregnant woman looks a bit silly when working out, but her body has to be pretty dang strong to make another human! After I thought that I felt much less silly. I definitely do not agree with the "weak and pregnant" stereotype. I totally understand taking it a little easier when you are pregnant but I think there is no reason not to feel strong while pregnant. Even if you do have a round belly.
Also, this got me thinking about women's bodies in general. Men get all the attention of being strong. Maybe when it comes to muscle but women's bodies are stronger all in their own way. It makes me sadder to think of the way so many women disrespect and trash their bodies. And of course having babies is not the only thing women are designed to do, by any means. What I mean is that a woman's body is strong, no matter what. Bodies are miracles. No matter how we feel about ours at any given moment. No matter how they like to change on us. Still a complete miracle. They deserve so much more respect than we give them.
Your thoughts remind me of this article.
ReplyDeletehttp://byuwsr.blogspot.com/2012/02/woman-of-treehouse.html
I hope you have a wonderful day!