Monday, October 4, 2010

Aesthetic Experience

So this semester in the ElEd program I am taking this really fun visual arts class. It's once a week, on Fridays and it is the perfect Friday class. A couple classes ago we talked about aesthetic experience, basically learning about what is art and what is beauty. You know, those experiences when you just have to stop and take it in, any little random thing that strikes you as intriguing or beautiful or inspiring. Then, a couple nights ago I watched "Letters to Juliet" for the first time (so cute!) and one of my favorite quotes was, "One of the greatest pleasures in life is having one's hair brushed." I just thought that was so cute and describes aesthetic experience perfectly. So, in response to school becoming crazier and crazier (so it seems), I wanted to list some of my favorite aesthetic experiences.
1. Drinking a whole bottle of water when you are so thirsty! That cool feeling that goes down your throat, smooth and wet...that's the best!
2. The ache in your abs when you have been laughing so hard and can't stop. It's like a hurt, but a good hurt! Your whole stomach clenches up and it's almost uncontrollable :)
3. When the little cool drops of water hit your skin while running through a sprinkler. This is especially amazing on a hot day. I love how the water drips down your face and lips afterward.
4. The smell of chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven. It's so warm in your nose and for some reason is the most comforting, sweet smell. Now I want a cookie...
5. The smell of a baby just after they've had a bath...it is the sweetest smell. Hard to describe but so soft and sweet.
6. When you walk or run by a laundry room and you catch a wiff of that laundry smell...that is one of the best things. Whenever that happens, I always just want to keep running back and forth in that area!
7. When someone, a friend or loved one, or just anyone, smiles at you and you see that little twinkle in their eye. I always love that.
8. This is totally random, but I love the feel of the back of a guys head (read: Chance haha) after they've had a haircut. My mom would always say she loved that on my dad and I totally agree. The only way I can describe it is crunchy velvet. That is weird and maybe makes no sense, but it makes sense to me :)
9. When one of your favorite songs comes on the radio and you get that giggly excited feeling! Even if you've heard it a hundred times, it still gives you that happiness.
10. If you have window in your bathroom, the way the sun looks in the morning in the bathroom as it comes through that window. It's like this pale cool yellow light that still looks a little bit dark. I love that.

Those are just some. What are your favorites? It's quite refreshing to try and notice and experience these little things every day. Just for fun, I want to post a wedding picture that I think is particularly aesthetically pleasing. I think Heidi got the lighting perfect on this, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. I had so much fun reading that post! Now I'm going to try to think of my own, but I definitely want to ditto running past a house that smells like clean laundry and a baby after they've had a bath- especially in their pajamas...probably one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved reading this post. With every thing on your list I felt as if I was in the moment at the time when the cookies were baked; or you ran past the fresh laundry smell! I so want to make a post like this on my blog. Hope married life is going well for you and Chance!!

    ReplyDelete