So yesterday was awesome because I finally got to meet Reese! Joseph and Katie FINALLY welcomed her to their family January 23rd! I remember Katie was having contractions way back around Christmas so this baby girl's arrival was such a welcome sight, I am sure. It is so funny because literally the past two weekends, Chance, Kate and I have stayed the night with Joseph and Katie and each time we thought, "How cool would it be if Katie went in to labor now!" They even did go to the hospital one night we were there but unfortunately were sent home. Katie was induced on Tuesday and little Reese came on Wednesday! What a perfect little girl and such a cute name! Reese was actually one of my considerations when I was pregnant with Kate, so I love it! I am so proud of Joseph and Katie. Especially Katie. I honestly believe every new mother should be allowed a parade in her honor! What an accomplishment! Seeing this new baby (who is bigger than Kate was but I still cannot believe Kate was ever this tiny!!) obviously reminded me of last June. I'm obviously no expert but just for fun I'm gonna list some things I learned in those first weeks.
* Emotional roller coasters from periods are mild. After having a baby you sometimes feel like you have literally lost your mind! When Kate was about three days old, my sister came over to visit and was greeted at the door with a half-naked Anna (clothes are the last thing on your mind), crying her eyes out and holding a wailing baby. It is mostly such an enjoyable time but there are those moments...:)
* Be careful watching funny shows or movies. Chance and I watched a lot of Arrested Development in those first days (that show still reminds me of being in that newborn haze) and I could only take so much because laughing hurt my crotch so bad!
* Pineapple juice. My sister told me this and I think it helped a ton with engorgement! Girls always talk about how painful that is but I didn't have too much pain because I started downing pineapple juice right after Kate was born. It was still a little uncomfortable but nothing like I sometimes hear it described.
*Don't worry too much about keeping a schedule. The OCD tendencies in me kicked in and I was so worried about when I last fed Kate and how long she ate and blah blah blah. (I swear, the nurses at the hospital did this to me! It feels like they drill you about how much your baby ate and they almost make you feel like a bad mom!) Next time, I plan to be much more relaxed and just trust my and the baby's instincts. I seriously kept a chart of when she last ate and I remember my mom kind of looking at me a little funny and now I see why, haha!
* Holding your own new baby isn't as scary as holding other's. At least for me, this was a lot easier than I expected. I have always been so scared to hold those fragile little things (and it still is a little nervewracking with other newborns!) but when it is your baby you feel better because, I don't know, you're the mom.
* It gets easier. I remember thinking in those first weeks, "Well, I guess we'll never leave the house again. That's okay." I looked at people with kids and was in awe that they could even function with kids when outside of their home. It was amazing to me. But little by little, it gets easier and life does go back to normal.
Well, a new normal of course :)
Congratulations Katie and Joseph! Reese is just so perfect!!!
Congratulations Katie and Joseph! Reese is just so perfect!!!

I love this! I know I am not pregnant and have not had a baby, but I sure do like reading advice for the future;). And you and Reese look adorable!
ReplyDelete