Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm stealing this and sharing it!

“I carry the struggle and stress of my life in this very body which I judge so harshly. My body carries me; it suffers my intake of fast food, no sleep, high stress, and little joy. I never worry if it will be there the next day or if it will desert me on a whim. It remains faithful and constant. I take it for granted, and I apologize. This is no way to conduct or value a relationship.”
………………………………………………………………….
“Years of looking at food-restricted, saline-breasted, workout-pounded, made-over, surgically-constructed, and computer-enhanced media images defeat me utterly. Gone are tribal memories of abundance and power in female girth. Gone is respect of femininity as equal. Giving birth is no longer a miracle. Numbers and lines. Thinness and power. Profit and greed. These have replaced being connected. Connection—to others and the earth—used to be necessary for survival. It was worthy of reverence and great respect. No longer. This must change.”
………………………………………………………………….
“They say the body is a temple. I wonder if mine could be. Temples are holy; the way I eat and live isn’t holy. Temples are gorgeous and inspiring; I don’t feel inspiring and definitely not gorgeous. Temples are close to God, and I don’t have the answers. But I am very good at cleaning things, and I can love. Perhaps a bit of appreciation and elbow grease will build a whole new structure.”

-from Body Prayers, by Rebecca Ruggles Radcliff

This was on my wonderful friend Julia's blog and sharing it with you. She always posts amazing stuff. My favorite part is the part about bodies being temples. It's quite beautiful to me. Thanks Julia!

No comments:

Post a Comment