Thursday, August 27, 2009
I MADE IT! I AM HERE!
Whew finally! I have so much I could write already but not a ton of time (hopefully most of you got the general email I sent out). I also have some pictures I just have to figure out how to upload them on another computer (the ones in the cafe don't have a way to do that). But I'll get them up soon. Life is good. I think I'm over the jet lag now. I think we are about 10 hours ahead of CA here. Everything is new but I'm really liking it. The city is huge and I don't understand a word people say, haha. But that's okay because our group is so great, I feel like I'm good friends with all the girls already. Our native coordinators are very helpful too. And Emily and I LOVE the family we are staying with! It's a mom (Lyuda) a dad (Jenya) and little girl (Yulia, 6) and a little boy (Illia, 4). They are wonderful. We feel really good and safe in their home and it's so nice because they speak pretty good English! That surprised us and made us very happy. We love talking to them. They are a really good family, particularly morally, which is kinda rare for Ukraine. We feel lucky. The apartment is small and modest but still nice. Everything is smaller here, the fridge, the oven, the rooms, the bathroom (the tub, toilet, sink and washing machine are all in one tiny little bathroom! Showering is a little different, you just kind of have to spray yourself down with a hand held faucet, then use soap and shampoo, and then rinse. I think I'm getting faster at showering, maybe, haha. It's a little change). Anyway, let's see, how would I describe the city. Huge, lot's of apartments (everyone lives in apartments) stacked really really high, somewhat crazy drivers and pedestrians too, good public transportation (we finally feel like we're getting the hang of the metro-we can recognize the way our stop sounds when the guys says it haha), the people have pretty serious faces out in public, the little babushksas are funny and crazy just like everyone always says, and people dress similar to the US but kind of more 90's style. So we stand out as Americans for sure. Plus, once we open our mouth it's obvious anyway. I'm really excited to be here. Oh, the food is good too. A little different but similar and nothing gross. We've had oatmeal, pancake type things, chicken and rice, crepes with chicken and cheese, watermelon, borsche, bread, and this yummy drink called compote made from boiled plums and apples. Sorry this is a scattered description. I start teaching next Wednesday. We're going to a flower festival as a group on Saturday and then church on Sunday. I'm really excited for both. I'll try and write again soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
your blog is prettier than mine...fix mine:)
ReplyDeleteWow!!! You are much braver than I am! Good luck adjusting and learning....I look forward to reading about your adventures and experiences! Take care!
ReplyDeleteps. I LOVE the title of this blog! :)